The "Quickie" - The Ultimate Propeller Quick-Release
There are many Quick-Release hubs available on the market. Not a single one can be installed and removed in under 6 seconds, features a real locking mechanism, allows the use of most propellers, and comes with all anodized and finished parts.
At Iris Paramotor we believe that to make a great product, we need to do everything the long, hard and tedious way. We do everything in house, with skilled workers and attention to detail and no cut corners. Our employees are paid a fair wage and care about the work that they do to bring you a top notch product. All of the metal parts are machined, anodized, assembled and decorated in-house. Even the nylon plastic components, which is the only part we outsource, are manufactured in the USA.
Don’t support manufactures that don’t even take the time to to anodize their aluminum. Don’t settle for a quick-release without a real locking mechanism. Don’t settle for anything less than the best.
The Quickie features shorter pins which allow it to have a low profile which fits into the tightest of spaces during transport. Shorter pins require much higher clamping pressures so we completely redesigned the mechanism with a larger center bolt and a machined metal plate which evenly spreads high clamping forces across the surface of the propeller. The metal plate features matching short pin “nubs” that work hand-in-hand with the main pins to keep things aligned. The main hub and the machined metal plate feature an anodized finish which offers a huge amount of surface friction to keep things securely in place.
Please note: the first batch of Quickies came with a plastic plate. If you purchased one of these, please get a hold of us for a free upgrade to the latest parts.
The Quickie is compatible with all manufacturer approved propellers. This includes all 2 and 3 blade Helix, E-Prop and Vittorazi propellers. Please note that the only officially supported propeller on the Atom80 engine is the Vittorazi Propeller manufactured by Helix with the thick hub (but E-Props will also work). The thinner Helix propeller is not supported. It is possible for us to send you a customized hub that will work with the thinner Helix, however, it will not work with the thicker propellers.
We do not recommend using off-brand or unapproved propellers. We have found that some cheaper propellers have very uneven surfaces which do not offer adequate surface friction between the parts to allow for safe operation. This is not only bad for the Quickie but also for the engine. If you need a new propeller, please get one from our other website located here.
The Atom80 Model
The Atom80 model requires a fairly thick hub which will move the propeller back from the engine (like a spacer) more than 3/4″. This may be good for some frames that have flex in their hoop but it could also make the propeller stick out too far on others. Please make sure that this configuration will work for you.
Because the Atom80 gear box features a pressure-release valve in the center bolt, we felt that it was important to incorporate channels into our hub to allow the valve to function correctly. It technically isn’t needed since our hub isn’t sealed, but, we decided to add channels that run all the way from the center cavity and along the back of the hub to atmosphere atmosphere. This was a feature request from one of our customers.
How To Use The "Quickie"
Please note that the Quickie was designed to be used in a very specific way. Doing anything else is almost guaranteed to be very frustrating at best and could result in damage to your Quickie. Please use the video below as a reference for how to use the Quickie correctly.
Tips and Suggestions
- Hold the Quickie steady, Rotate the propeller (clutched engines).
- Don’t press the buttons and rotate the lever by the buttons. Hold the two handles with your left hand using your thumb and middle finger laying flat on the handles. See the video above.
- The buttons should automatically press freely with no effort. If one or both do not move easily, rotate the lever clockwise (tighten) just a little bit so the ratchets click one more time.
- The short pin “nubs” on the metal plate should catch the propeller holes automatically most of the time but sometimes the plate will need a manual wiggle to pop into the holes.
- Do NOT let go of the Quickie handle (and buttons) while unlocking / rotating
- Never force the Quickie mechanism open
- If you ever overtighten the mechanism, use both hands to hold the handle (and buttons) and use your knee to leverage the prop counter-clockwise
- If your engine is direct drive (no clutch), do not rotate the propeller to tighten/loosen the quickie because it can unintentionally start the engine.
- Never use thread locker on the mounting bolts. The aluminum is anodized and the bolts are zinc coated. Both surfaces create a very large amount of friction.
- If you torque down the mounting bolts, we recommend about 13nm.
- Some propellers are not drilled perfectly or can be drilled and machined very tightly. Take extra care putting a new propeller on the hub and make sure that the short pin “nubs” on the metal plate are aligned with the holes and tighten the mechanism slowly.
1 Year Warranty
As with all of our products, the Quickie comes with a one year warranty for any manufacturing defects or issues. Please note that using the Quickie with unapproved propellers as well as not using the method outlined in the video above to lock/unlock it can cause damage which is not covered under warranty. Please contact your dealer for any warranty related questions.